Monday, June 18, 2007

A little help from my ... iPod

I know. No one came here to become a writer. But I thought I'd share my latest excuse to care about sentence structure - Grammar Girl's pod casts.

I know. The only thing worse than diagramming sentences is listening to someone diagram sentences. But Grammar Girl's chipper and concise podcasts tackle thorny grammatical subjects with wit and insight, not schoolmarm-ish authority. She reminds us that writing well is communicating well - and that following the rules of doing so helps make the apparatus of writing disappear so meaning can become more clear.

If you're dreading the writing you have to do this summer, get ahead by tuning in and making being engaged. Afterall, you might as well work on all aspects of your craft while you're here...

No comments: