Thursday, July 07, 2005

Some links I promised to post

Now recovering from Allan McCollum's fascinating talk yesterday (comments? anyone?), I wanted to post a few links to things I mentioned in class the other day.
First, PublicKnowledge.org has an interesting paper called Why the Public Domain Matters available for download. In it, author David Bollier argues for a conception of the public domain not as a heap of leftovers negatively defined as what no one any longer owns, but as a positively defined space with an active role in a democratic society. A pretty straightforward read, and an interesting notion.
Also, we talked a little about the issue of media consolidation and how it affects artists and other creatives. Mediatank.org has a good overview of the issues, as well as other concerns. They are an outstanding resource for Philadelphians, and I would encourage you to get involved with them by attending screenings and programs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some thing old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Can we be drawn to Samaras..."I make art to seduce myself." Do you want to reach millions? He replyied, to reach those who were like minded.

Anonymous said...

i can't find the link?

Unknown said...

Bob - which one? You tried clicking on the links in the text and they didn't work? Try Googling Public Knowledge and MediaTank and that may help (I was going to type the link data in here, but my connection is terrible and I cannot get it together...sorry)